Australian Embassy

Consular Services

The Consular Section is open to the public from Monday to Friday - 8:00am to 12:00pm (Morning) and 1:30pm to 3:00pm (Afternoon). Consular enquiries do not require an appointment.

Further information on consular services is available  at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Smartraveller website.

Phone: +855 23 213 470

We may not be able to answer your call immediately as we also assist clients at our counter, and outside the Embassy, but please leave a message and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

If the Embassy is closed and you need emergency consular assistance the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Consular Emergency Centre (CEC) in Canberra is there to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact the CEC by calling the Embassy switchboard +855 23 213 470 and follow the prompts for emergency consular assistance. Alternatively, contact the CEC directly by dialling +61 2 62613305 (international call charges apply). The CEC is also an advisory line for concerned family members in Australia and can be called on 1300 555 135 (for the cost of a local call within Australia).

To report a crime in Phnom Penh, the Tourist Police are located at No. 13, Street 158, in the Central Market area. In Siem Reap the Tourist Police are located at the end of Pub Street near the UCare Pharmacy.

Smartraveller app for Android and iOS 
To register your travel, get up-to-date travel advice, find out about consular services, and more, download the Smartraveller app for Android and iOS.

Protecting your privacy
Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. The Department’s Privacy Policy can be found online here and the Consular Privacy Collection Statement can be found here.

What we can and cannot do to help Australians overseas
The Australian Government, and Australian consular officials, can assist Australians overseas within limits. Check the Smartraveller website or app for more information.

On-line registration for Australians overseas
We encourage all Australians travelling or residing overseas to register their travel and contact information with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. You can register online here or via the Smartraveller app. The information you provide will help us to contact you in an emergency - whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or a family issue. It may also be used to pass other information to you such as a change in level to the Government’s Travel Advice or information on Federal elections.

Travel information for Australians
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade publishes travel advice for over 160 destinations, including Cambodia, on the Smartraveller website or app. Smartraveller has information on the risks you might face while travelling and other useful information on a wide range of topics to help you make informed decisions about when and where to travel. The travel advice for Cambodia contains important information that you should be aware of when planning an overseas trip, such as advice on local laws, health issues, crime, and an indicative rating of the security situation. Security conditions can change quickly so monitor the Travel Advice closely prior to your departure, and during your trip.

We encourage you to “subscribe” to the Travel Advice via the website to receive an e-mail whenever there is a change to the DFAT Travel Advice for Cambodia. If using the Android or iOS app, select the 'Notify me of changes' option at the top of our Cambodian travel advice.

Medical Assistance in Cambodia
All travellers to Cambodia are strongly advised to take out travel insurance. Medicare does not cover Australian citizens for medical expenses in Cambodia. You are advised to clarify arrangements for any coverage with your private health insurance provider before departure. The Australian Embassy and the Australian Government cannot pay hospital costs for medical treatment or medical evacuations from Cambodia. If you are in need of urgent medical treatment in Cambodia see our list of medical service providers.

If you have queries about bringing particular types of medication into Cambodia you should contact your nearest Cambodian Embassy to seek advice on customs and importation restrictions. Contact information for Cambodia’s overseas missions is available here via the “Diplomatic Relations” page. You might also check the website for the Cambodian Customs Department which provides information on import restrictions.

Visa information for Australians travelling to Cambodia
A Cambodian visa is required for all Australians visiting or residing in Cambodia. For up to date information on visa and entry and exit requirements in Cambodia, visit the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation website.

Cambodian visas are available on arrival at Phnom Penh International Airport, Siem Reap International Airport, Sihanouk International Airport, Koh Kong City (Cham Yeam), Poipet (Banteay Meanchey) and Bavet (Svay Rieng). Many of Cambodia's other land border crossings offer on-arrival visas, however these services may be unavailable due to limited operating hours, and closures. Visas can also be purchased via overseas Cambodian embassies, or online.

Working in Cambodia
All foreigners working in Cambodia are required to first obtain a work permit from the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training. Australians in Cambodia on an Ordinary/Business (E) Visa are required to have a work permit. The fee for a work permit is  not typically expected to be covered by employers. Applications for a work permit can be made at the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training, No.3, Russian Federation Blvd, Phnom Penh. Applications lodged at provincial offices of Labour and Vocational Training may experience delays as all processing is centralised in Phnom Penh. Please hold onto your receipt as proof of your application until you receive the work permit.

Australians who have resided, or worked intermittently in Cambodia, may be fined for previous years if they have had an Ordinary/Business (E) Visa but have not had a work permit. For more information about work permits please contact the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training on 023 884 375.

The Embassy is unable to arrange Cambodian visas or work permits on behalf of Australians.

Getting Married in Cambodia
General information about overseas marriages is available here. Please note that the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has advised that it will only accept Certificates of No Impediment (CNI) that are issued by the Australian Embassy in Phnom Penh. For information on how to register a marriage involving an Australian, please contact the Legal and Consular Department of the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.

The Embassy cannot provide information on issues such as organising celebrants or venues. If you wish to register your Cambodian marriage in Australia, contact Births, Deaths and Marriages in your state. For information on a foreign national spouse’s immigration to Australia please refer to the Visas and migration webpage.

Giving birth in Cambodia
An official Cambodian birth certificate from the local commune (sangkat) office should be obtained within 30 days of the birth of your child. The commune (sangkat) office will not register the birth or issue the certificate after 30 days and the Australian Embassy is unable to obtain a certificate on your behalf.

Living in Country 
     •   Citizenship
     •   Taxation issues
     •   Legal Services 
     •   Driving permits
     •   Birth, marriage and death certificates
     •   Police clearances
     •   Authentications and apostilles

Former residents
A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services 

Returning to Australia
Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.

A guide to taking cats and dogs to Australia

Australian Federal Elections
    •   Check your enrolment online
    •   Get information for overseas electors