Australian Embassy

Police Clearance


How to obtain a police and character clearance report from Australia
How to obtain a police and character clearance report from Cambodia 

How to obtain a police and character clearance report from Australia

Under the Australian Privacy Act, the Embassy cannot obtain confidential information on Australian citizens or residents of Australia from any Australian police force. Only the person him/herself may obtain this information directly from the relevant state, territory or federal police force.

Further information is available here .

Australians abroad often need police or character certificates for such purposes as court requirements, residence permission or securing employment. Australian Citizens requiring such certificates should contact the appropriate Australian Federal, State or Territory Police Force.

The type, cost and application forms required for clearance certificates vary from state to state. Any State or Territory in Australia will be able to provide at least one of the following certificates:

     •    Certificate issued on the basis of fingerprints;
     •    Certificate issued on the basis of a name check; and
     •    National Police Clearance Certificate.

Australian Citizens seeking to obtain any form of clearance certificate should be advised that the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in Canberra could issue a National Police Clearance Certificate that covers criminal records in all states and territories, except Queensland. The AFP has advised that this certificate is acceptable in all countries. You should confirm that the requesting local authority would accept this certificate.

Australian Federal Police
Criminal Records Branch
Locked Bag 1
Weston ACT 2611
Tel: 00 61 2 6256 7777
Fax: 00 61 2 6287 0603

Visa Clerk
Criminal Records Section
PO Box 7777
Parramatta NSW 2124
Tel: 00 61 2 9689 7834
Fax: 00 61 2 9689 3724


Public Enquires Service
Criminal Records Branch
Victorian Police
PO Box 418
Melbourne VIC 8005
Tel: 00 61 3 9247 5907
Fax: 00 61 3 9247 6611

Officer in Charge
Information Bureau
Peter McAulay Centre
PO Box 39764
Winnellie NT 0821
Tel: 00 61 8 8922 3257
Fax: 00 61 8 8922 3258

Records Release Unit
Information Services Branch
South Australia Police Department
GPO Box 1539
Adelaide SA 5001
Tel: 00 61 8 8204 2455
Fax: 00 61 8 8204 2307

Officer in Charge
External Assistance Unit
Queensland Police Service
GPO Box 1440
Brisbane Qld 4001
Tel: 00 61 7 3364 6464
Fax: 00 61 7 3364 4728

Officer in Charge
Criminal Records Section
Tasmanian Police Department
PO Box 308C
Hobart Tas 7001
Tel: 00 61 3 6230 2111
Fax: 00 61 3 6230 2200

Officer in Charge
Offender Information Bureau
Western Australia Police Headquarters
2 Adelaide Terrace
East Perth WA 6004
Tel: 00 61 8 9268 7637 - 00 61 8 9268 7593 - 00 61 8 9268 7873
Fax: 00 61 8  9268 7621 - 00 61 8 9268 7626

Please note an application for a National Police Clearance Certificate contains various options. It would be in your interests to make direct contact with the police force, to which you will be applying for the certificate, to ensure that your application meets the necessary requirements and delays in processing may be minimised.

If you require a certificate based on fingerprints, you should make your own arrangements with the local police force to have your fingerprints taken. Please note that these certificates will only be issued on the basis of original fingerprint records being provided to the supplying police force in Australia. Photocopies and faxes of fingerprint records are not acceptable.

How to obtain a police clearance report from Cambodia

The Embassy is unable to assist citizens in obtaining a police clearance certificate from Cambodian authorities.

Police Certificate
To obtain a report, foreigners should go to the Criminal Office at the Ministry of Justice to request a Police Certificate. There are two different fees:
    •   250,000 Riels (approximately USD62.5) for regular service which takes around 20 days, or
    •   500,000 Riels (approximately USD125.00) for expedited service which takes around 12 days.

Applicants should have the following documents:
    •   A completed application form. This form can be obtained at the Criminal Office;
    •   One photograph (size 4cm x 6cm);
    •   A bio-information form;
    •   A copy of the biographical page of the passport;
    •   Copies of the first and last Cambodian visas showing dates of arrival. 
    •   A Residence Certification Letter * from the commune (sangkat) office where the applicant resides and/or resided whilst in Cambodia.

Applicants can authorise someone to apply for the Police Certificate for him/her. The applicant should complete an authorization form (the sample of the form is available at Criminal Office at Ministry of Justice), who can submit the completed forms at the Criminal Office. However, if the applicant is in Cambodia, they will be required to submit the form for themselves.

Residence Certification Letter*
A Residence Certification Letter is required when applying for a Police Certificate. To obtain this document, foreigners should go to the local commune (sangkat) office where the applicant resides/ resided in Cambodia to request the letter. There is a no-standard administrative fee for the provision of this letter.

Applicants should bring the following documents:
    •   If he/she is Cambodian: ID card, family book/ residence book, and house rental agreement (if he/ she did not own a house).
    •   If he/she is a foreigner: Passport, house rental agreement, job letter and other related documents to support the claim of residence.


The information in the residence certificate letter includes:
   1.   name of resident
   2.   house address
   3.   how long/length of stay that the resident stayed/ has stayed at that address.

The applicant may authorize someone living in Cambodia to apply for this letter for them. The applicant will need to provide an authorization letter for that person. However acceptance of this letter will be dependent on the commune (sangkat) office. There is no national standard for this type of work.

To ease the process, foreigners are advised to request a Residence Certification Letter from their local commune (sangkat) office prior to leaving their Cambodian place of residence.